Become a Rocket Billet Family!!
When a young man becomes a member of the P.E.I. Rocket Hockey Club he does not live on his own. This is where billet families enter into the picture. Each player is placed with a family from the community and spends the entire hockey season with them. Billet families are called upon to provide more than simply a bed to sleep in. They are expected to provide a home away from home including the provision of nutritional family type meals and other supports when required. But above all else they are to ensure that the player feels at home and a part of their family.
Part of being drafted by a Major Junior Hockey Team entails sacrifices. For many it means moving away from home for the first time, some as young as 16 years old. In some cases the player has to deal with learning a new language. A team member could actually be with the same team and family from 1 to 5 years, unless a trade occurs or a change is required. The billet home becomes a player's second home and the community becomes a second hometown.
There are benefits that come along with billeting a member of the P.E.I. Rocket Hockey Club. These perks however do not equal the overwhelming joy a family receives from opening their hearts and homes to a fine young man who is trying to achieve his dream of playing in the National Hockey League.
All potential billet parents must undergo an in-house interview and complete a consent form for Release of Criminal Record Information. At such time, the current billeting coordinator will also inspect a prospective player's room. All potential billet parents must meet the high standards as set out by the P.E.I. Rocket Hockey Club. Billet families are considered the P.E.I. Rocket "Off-Ice" team, without them the "On-Ice" team would not be a success.
Billet Families Responsibilities
- Dedicated Room - which includes a double bed or larger, a student desk for homework, preferably a TV in room.
- Family Type Meals
- Laundry - to be determined between player and billet
- Support, communication and understanding are vital. All concerns regarding the player should be directed to the billet coordinator.
- Having the player feel at home and part of the family is very important
Billet Family Benefits
- Two Season Tickets for all games including playoffs.
- All Billet Families will receive a 10% off all PEI Rocket Merchandise and regular priced clothing and footwear at Source for Sports and the Rocket Shop.
- All Billet Families will receive a VIP card entitling them to discounts at many Charlottetown Businesses.
- Monetary Compensation is $85.00 per week.
- A wonderful experience with many great memories go to those who will extend their families to include a dedicated young man who is endeavouring to further his education while playing major junior hockey.
Services Provided by P.E.I. Rocket Hockey Club for Players
- Transportation: Will be provided for all school and hockey functions (Billets to provide in emergency situations)
- Educational Assistance: Will be provided by the P.E.I. Rocket Academic Consultants.
- Medical: Will be provided by the P.E.I. Rocket Training and Medical Staff
- Daily support needs: Billet Coordinator & P.E.I. Rocket staff